Black pearl jewelry is greatly admired for its luster, richness and uniqueness. Wearing it with any outfit makes for a classic, elegant, stylish and polished look. It is a timeless piece most women and celebrities prefer. Black pear is the ultimate gift of love and romance.
The saltwater pearl oyster that is known to produce black pearl is called Pinctada Margaritifera. The pearl produced by this oyster is naturally black in color because of the black pigment that the oyster secretes. The Pinctada Margaritifera can grow as big as a dinner plate. This pearl oyster can only be found in Tahiti and French Polynesian Island in the South Pacific Ocean. Thus, black pearl is frequently referred to as Black Tahitian Pearls.
Black pearl is very rare because Pinctada Margaritifera rarely produces pearls and white pearl oysters rarely produce naturally black pearls. Also, culturing of Pinctada Margaritifera pearl oyster had been unsuccessful due to bad health and/or non-survival of the culturing process. Also, this type of oyster is sensitive to changing climate and ocean conditions.
In ancient Asian history time, black pearl jewelry was used as the official symbol of the legitimate ruler or emperor. If the ruler wears the right kind of piece of black pearl jewelry especially large ones, he is regarded as the divine emperor.
The black pearl jewelry was also the symbol of renewal and hope for humanity among the paradise islands of French Polynesia. It was believed to harness the magical colors of the rainbow after a storm according to the native tribes.
Apart from amulets, black pearl jewelry is worn by enchanters in Europe because they believed that it would bring them good luck. The soothsayers gazed into the waves of swirling colors in the back pearl jewelry. Healers also use it for extra help with their spells to cure the sick.
Black pearls are truly eye catching and are usually worn with casual and dressy attire. Women who enjoy classic, stylish jewelry prefer black pearl because of its luster, richness and uniqueness. Second to the white pearls in popularity, black pearls can be made into stylish necklaces, earrings as well as rings.
Black pearl jewelry makes a perfect accessory to any wardrobe to make it look classic, stunning and elegant. It is usually made with white gold or platinum to offset the luxurious look. But some prefer it with a yellow gold setting, while others like it better with silver.
If you want to buy black pearls, here are some tips.
1. Color: Know the exact color you want for a black pearl. Not all of the black pearls are black. There are grey, blue, deep purple, peacock green as well.
2. Size: The larger the pearl, the rare and the more valuable it is. Black pearls are often larger than other pearls. Black pearls start at 8 millimeters and average about 10 to 11 millimeters while other pearls range from 4 to 7 millimeters.
3. Iridescence: Iridescence, or orient, is the property of the black pearls surfaces which appear to change color as the angle of view changes. This is caused by the overlapping of successive layers, which breaks up light falling on the surface. To check the iridescence of a pearl, rotate it and check for a shimmer of greenish-black and blue orient.
4. Luster: Luster is the mirror effect of the pearl. The higher the mirror effect, the better the pearl because the thicker its layers are. Check the nacre. If it looks dull and fuzzy, it is thin and will wear off quickly.
5. Shape: The most prized shape of black pearl is perfectly round. It also comes in different shapes such as pear, rice and baroque shapes.
6. Surface: Check the surface of the pearl. Make sure that there is no pitting or chip. The black pearls surface must be thoroughly smooth.
Author Fred Gagnon is an expert on providing tips and information on jewelries. He owns a wide collection of stunning, glamorous and fashionable jewelries. To learn more about jewelries, accessories, precious metals and gemstones, visit Black Titanium Wedding Band
and Pink Sapphire Rings .
Find More Pearl Articles